Tuesday, February 24, 2009


(Click for a bigger picture, then click back)
This morning as I was driving in my neighbourhood I saw this gorgeous Flame of the Forest tree in bloom with its scarlet flowers. So I took a couple of pictures of it.

Flame of the Forest, or Delonix Regia, is often planted as a shade tree in parks because of its broadly spreading crown. However, it is more so an ornamental tree species recognised for its exuberant scarlet flowers when in full bloom.

A native of Madagascar, it was discovered by botanist Wenzel Bojer in 1820. Since then the tree has been planted in Africa, Asia and Southeast Asia.

The Flame of the Forest is a medium to large-size tree which can reach up to 60 feet high. The flowers are scarlet and fairly scented. The fruits are long pods dangling down sword-like from the branches.



1 comment:

Holiday Maker said...

At a glance I thought some where a forest on fire...Yes this tree can be seen everywhere in the park.